The other day I was inspired to create a collage based on Alice in Wonderland. I'm reading a novel called Wonderland, which is a fantasy erotic novel with elements reminiscent of the traditional tale. I wanted my collage to be a grown up version of how Alice would be in modern day USA.
I got my images from a variety of magazines, mostly from Elle. If you would like to create something similar, here are a few ideas to spur your creative juices.
1. Choose a favorite book or fairy tale from childhood. It can be anything you really love, but mainly choose something where you can remember lots of distinct imagery from.
2. You may want to choose a particular scene from the book. My collage was based on the Mad Hatter theme.
3. Make a list of some elements you would love to include in the collage. Then flip through some magazines and begin tearing out pages that tie into the theme.
4. Cut out your images and play around with the design before gluing things in place. If you could not find a suitable background you could draw or paint a backdrop first. Then glue items in place.
5. If there is a particular visual that you want to include but can't find in a magazine, draw it out on another piece of paper with a waterproof pen or permanent marker and then cut that out and glue it in place.
6. You can always add in some acrylic paints at the end. Just be sure to seal the collage first if you plan on doing so or the glue might not hold.
Play around with this theme and you can create a whole series of fun collages!